Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Discovering Visual Literacy

Getting Started


PROBLEM/ AREA OF CONCERN_

One thing I realized that my students will need to made more aware of is developing their skills in interpreting data/ information that is used to make up a visual image. Students will need to be engaged in looking for context clues, similarities, differences, categorizing images, placing them in a sequential arrangement, etc. When this skill is developed, there is nothing that will be able to stand in their way. Making meaning is a very important aspect of the learning process. The KEY will be in making that CONNECTION and constantly fine tuning them for future success.







QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER_



How can I get this task accomplished in my classroom?

I first have to consider what types of images attracts the eye and what is it about those images captures the student's attention?

How can this "attraction" be used to stimulate this ability even more in my students?
How can I use this in the general classroom?





SOLUTIONS/IDEAS_

I am considering just using a stack of images for them to go through as groups and look for a common element. The same images could be used for two weeks and the students could be charged with locating a teacher directed theme/idea. This way the students pull away from the piles what they believe belongs and defend why or why certain images work. Please leave feedback about some ideas that you believe will also be beneficial to students.

No comments:

Post a Comment